Welcome to the Toyota GT 86 / Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ Community Forums | Toyobaru.net.

Post Toyota FR-S: Official Name of the FT-86?

The question on everyones mind isn't if the Toyota FT-86 will make it to production, but rather what its official name will be. We might have the answer, Toyota Motor Corporation recently filed a trademark for "FR-S" name in both the U.S. and Canada. Which would leave to question, will the FT-86 have a unique name in Japan/Europe/Asia markets.

The name certainly sounds like a contender. "FR" stands for front-rear as in, front-engine, rear-wheel drive. The "S" presumably would indicate sports car, as commonly used throughout the industry.

If true, expect Toyota to release good news soon!

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield...004:asgbt9.2.1

Word Mark FR-S
    Goods and Services IC 012. US 019 021 023 031 035 044. G & S: Automobiles and structural parts thereof
    Standard Characters Claimed
    Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
    Serial Number 85049145
    Filing Date May 27, 2010
    Current Filing Basis 1B
    Original Filing Basis 1B
    Owner (APPLICANT) Toyota Jidosha Kabushiki Kaisha TA Toyota Motor Corporation CORPORATION JAPAN 1, Toyota-cho Toyota-shi, Aichi-ken JAPAN 471-8571
    Attorney of Record Roberta S. Bren
    Type of Mark TRADEMARK
    Register PRINCIPAL
    Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Well, it leaves it open for other variants. FR-H Hybrid anyone?

I don't like it. FR is an engine-chassis layout, using it as a name just doesn't flow to me.
    Team Scoobie Member

Quote Originally Posted by modifiedMR View Post
    Naw, "bang for the buck" as in performance. I'd rather than and need a shot of penicillin.

Lord of the Wings
    I love it.

Lexus LF-A, Toyota FR-S. I'm seeing a pattern, this has to be the FT-86! I can't complain, I kind of like the name and the fact that's it won't be associated with any past models as many of us had speculated.

Finally some good news, I was getting worried. Now Toyota make this official so you can happily reach in my wallet and take my 20k +/- in exchange for an FR-S.

Moddy
    hmmm, i guess it sounds kinda badass
    05' STi
    Team Scoobie Member

Thank goodness this website is not named ft86. Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by HyperFX View Post
    Thank goodness this website is not named ft86. Lol!
    Right! But do we move to a new domain based on FRS or do we stay true to our roots of off beat names?

I have to say I like FR-S, it still sounds awesome. now if we could only get some details about the final product while they road test it for the next year....

Quote Originally Posted by West View Post
    Right! But do we move to a new domain based on FRS or do we stay true to our roots of off beat names?
    This website has a very unique name. I've read many articles on the internet quoting "toyobaru" as a very credible source so keeping the original name sounds great. I like FR-S but I hope they bring out different badges (Mark iv etc.) much like the Supra.

^That plus the fact that their still is a Subaru lurking out there somewhere and a name based around FRS doesn't take in account Subaru.
    Team Scoobie Member

Naw, "bang for the buck" as in performance. I'd rather than and need a shot of penicillin.

time to start saving my pennies

Moddy
    Quote Originally Posted by West View Post
    i kinda think if u dont someone else will
    05' STi
    Team Scoobie Member

FRS .com is already taken as well as FRS.net. Neither of them having to do with cars.
    Team Scoobie Member

Moddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cwrigh25 View Post
    FRS .com is already taken as well as FRS.net. Neither of them having to do with cars.
    toyotafrs.com?
    05' STi
    Team Scoobie Member

^ Says it is taken.

I am sure people are scrambling to snatch domain names based off this name, but more than likely the question West posed was more of a joke than anything. I highly doubt he will actually change the name.
    Team Scoobie Member

I actually own a few already, none that desirable. Although my hope is to still have a FR-S/216a centric site, if it happens there really isn't a need to rename. But my confidence in the 216a making it to production is dwindling.

If its not going to be called FR-S outside the US / Canada its a little bit of a waste to change this site. Toyobaru is getting around out there. Maybe a combination name ... "Toyobaru FR-S" or "Toyobaru incorporating FR-S" perhaps? Maybe I am getting a bit lame...
    Anyway, its a very good idea to give it a name with no relation to any previous Toyota. It stops anyone coming along with any pre-concieved ideas / bad memories of any previous models. We have IS-F and LF-A getting around in Lexus land now. Toyota has been keen to have world-wide common names of late, so maybe it will be FR-S everywhere?

If you type in FR-S on google toyobaru comes up I think in 6th place.
    Team Scoobie Member

Moddy
    I think the name of the site should be changed if worse comes to worst and we find out the 216a is a no go =/
    05' STi
    Team Scoobie Member

I thought you couldn't register a number...

I don't know how to read this but what about this?

Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS)

Word Mark 86
    Goods and Services IC 012. US 019 021 023 031 035 044. G & S: Automobiles and structural parts thereof
    Serial Number 85066441
    Filing Date June 18, 2010
    Current Filing Basis 1B
    Original Filing Basis 1B
    Owner (APPLICANT) Toyota Jidosha Kabushiki Kaisha TA Toyota Motor Corporation CORPORATION JAPAN 1, Toyota-cho Toyota-shi, Aichi-ken JAPAN 471-8571
    Type of Mark TRADEMARK
    Register PRINCIPAL
    Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Looks like Toyota registered "86"? I thought you couldn't register a number though. Confused.

Quote Originally Posted by lookitschloe View Post
    I don't know how to read this but what about this?

Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS)

Word Mark 86
    Serial Number 85066441
    Filing Date June 18, 2010
    Current Filing Basis 1B
    Original Filing Basis 1B
    Type of Mark TRADEMARK
    Register PRINCIPAL
    Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Looks like Toyota registered "86"? I thought you couldn't register a number though. Confused.
    Nice find!!! This trademark is similar to the FR-S, "Automobiles and structural parts thereof". Now that just leaves to question what will the damn thing be called? Both were filed within a few weeks.

Yes you can trademark numbers, similar to Boeing with their 747.

Moddy
    when you have as much money as Toyota... you can trademark anything! lol
    05' STi
    Team Scoobie Member

I love this name.

I will get the G's model and name it Front Rear Gees. Or something equally as lame.