Welcome to the Toyota GT 86 / Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ Community Forums | Toyobaru.net.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Major Toyota FT-86 News! Scion FT-S, Subaru AWD, Production Model in SoCal!

We just got word of some breaking news regarding the Toyota FT-86 and Subaru variant. Back in October 2010 we received word the FT-86 would be badged a Scion in the USA. Today, we have further clarification that the car will be officially release as the Scion FT-S, not the FR-S. FT, which stands for "Future Toyota" makes less sense than the previous Trademark filed by Toyota called FR-S. It makes no sense to us either, but were just reporting whats been stated from recent Toyota Executive meetings! If you didn't know, Scion's are sold without rebates, and without Finance options, thus was the major decision to release the FT-S as a Scion. Toyota expects the car to retain upwards of 65% of its residual value after three years, like a Toyota should.

Mark your calendars, as previously reported, the car will debut officially as the Scion FT-S at the next NY Auto Show on April 22nd.

Further reports stated the engine would be a 2.5 liter rather than the current concept 2.0 liter, they expect the FT-S to compete with the current top sports cars in the 20-40k range. Luckily the price is still reported as lower $20k range for the Scion FT-S, and get this the Subaru model could hit upwards of $40k range! Go figure, but AWD Fans, don't retreat just yet, it sounds like an AWD model will hit production for Subaru. This decision was made because Toyota doesn't want the brands competing with each other. It was said the Scion FT-S and Subaru variant are based off a modified WRX chassis, while this sounds possible we still remain sceptic of the news. Previously it was rumored to be based off a Legacy chassis.

Production for the Scion FT-S could start in 4Q 2011, although this depends on the success of the Scion IQ which hits production in May 2011. If the iQ doesn't live up to its expectations then focus will be shifted to the Scion FT-S. Subaru's variant could also hit production at the same time, we heard the model is out of production but we couldn't get further clarification on its status.

Toyota is is starting a major Scion marketing campaign starting today. More ads will be shows on more channels which had never previously been targeted by Scion. Such as Life and Oxygen. The biggest focus will be on the drifting market, which Toyota has coined the hottest automotive market in America. As you might of expected, the FT-S will be everywhere in the drifting community.

Scion debated calling the FT-86 the FT-D for (Drift), but decided against the naming. Scion is apparently targeting ‪Tanner Foust as their official drifter for the FT-S who currently drifts the Rockstar Scion TC.

An official Production model is in existence right now in SoCal, in the hands of select shops, namely TRD, Five Axis, 5Zigen for modification fitments and testing. Stay tuned!!

Awsome news West!!! FT-S!!! Don't forget, Scion also creates special edition enthusiast models with unique badge numbers! look out for those too!!!!

Moddy
    OH SHIT! BIG NEWS! source West??
    2.5 liter and AWD =
    and this means there will most likely be an STI model!
    something to be excited to save for again
    05' STi
    Team Scoobie Member

awesome cant wait till its actually out

2.5 liter, I wonder if that is turbo.....
    Team Scoobie Member

Quote Originally Posted by modifiedMR View Post
    Naw, "bang for the buck" as in performance. I'd rather than and need a shot of penicillin.

Moddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    2.5 liter, I wonder if that is turbo.....
    probably offer both if it's gonna be a competitor for $20-40k cars
    05' STi
    Team Scoobie Member

so gay. Such disappointing news.

Moddy
    Quote Originally Posted by blood mtn View Post
    so gay. Such disappointing news.
    how is this disappointing?
    unless you are referring to it being designated as Scion...
    but we kind of already knew that lol

i wonder if this is gonna turn into one of those "silvia scenarios" where people are gonna go all for the RHD Toyota models... lol
    05' STi
    Team Scoobie Member

Quote Originally Posted by ej25ti View Post
    i wonder if this is gonna turn into one of those "silvia scenarios" where people are gonna go all for the RHD Toyota models... lol
    This made me LOL.

Well, as time goes by the rumors about this car being badged as a Scion seem to get closer and closer to the truth. We might as well prepare ourselves for it. But the rumors of an AWD version from Subaru?!? Mmmmm... Tasty... I'll have some more of that, please.

So what kind of potential could a NA 2.5 offer? Could we see over 200rwhp?

Quote Originally Posted by ProZach626 View Post
    not stock.

Moddy
    prob not whp, but bhp yes lol
    05' STi
    Team Scoobie Member

i wanttt oneee nowww. reallllyy baddlyyy.
    moarrr lotto tickets.
    im thinkin of going to the ny auto show.

If its the STI motor, it will be at the VERY least adequate. I'm not hugely "gear head savvy" but I figure any engine that's already in a popular car will be pretty awesome.

I wager it will be between 175-245ish range for HP rating.

But still, im so excited for this car. This car will be successful! Its going to change the US car market a little bit by giving interest in affordable Rwd again. With the v6 stang and the Genesis coupe out and about already and with this the FT-S or whatever it will probably make car manufactures rethink what they have available at an affordable price point.

knock on expensive wood/cross fingers.
    Last edited by Ethanislame; 02-09-2011 at 01:42 PM. Reason: gramatical

how is this disappointing?
    unless you are referring to it being designated as Scion...
    but we kind of already knew that lol

This car will go the way of the pontiac solstice and saturn sky. Scion will die off in the next 2 years and Toyota NA will not pick up the FT-86 brand. That is what's gay, Scion's lack of legacy. And the 2.5L redlines at 6k= gay.

That is what's gay, Scion's lack of legacy. And the 2.5L redlines at 6k= gay.
    Think that's what they're trying to do, establish a name for Scion...

Wow, what's up with all the "ghey-ness" in this thread? Hahahaha. Guess the mods don't care?
    Last edited by HakosukaBunta; 02-09-2011 at 07:04 PM.

just so you all know...mark lies

<3 lol j/k

awesome news about the FT...glad to see toyota isnt screwing it up like they were talking about before by having 20 different models and having a RWD hatchback take its place...SEMA in 2012, count on seeing this car in EVERY booth!!! (yes, even the honda booth will have one)
    DorkiDori Clothing.com
    Fun Clothing for a Fun Sport

Quote Originally Posted by ESmorz View Post
    Nissan is like that really hot chick in Middle School who cuts herself.

Quote Originally Posted by HakosukaBunta View Post
    Wow, what's up with all the "ghey-ness" in this thread? Hahahaha. Guess the mods don't care?
    Not unless someone feels disrespected by it. Now the other not so nice word that is similar and starts with an F, that is another story.
    Team Scoobie Member

Quote Originally Posted by modifiedMR View Post
    Naw, "bang for the buck" as in performance. I'd rather than and need a shot of penicillin.

sooo did subaru come out with new 2.0l and 2.5l engines? i remember when info was released about the new 2.0 supposed to be featured in the ft

Quote Originally Posted by ToyoTech View Post
    sooo did subaru come out with new 2.0l and 2.5l engines? i remember when info was released about the new 2.0 supposed to be featured in the ft
    It is called the FB Series.

Quote Originally Posted by ToyoTech View Post
    Some info from C&D about the new engine here...

Subaru FB-Series Engine: Subaru Flat-Four Engines

Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    Not unless someone feels disrespected by it. Now the other not so nice word that is similar and starts with an F, that is another story.
    I apologize to anyone that may feel offended.

This is a bad idea to market as a Scion. The TC is already the halo car and has moderately decent sales numbers. The FT-86 will not be a big seller anywhere in the world and it's not supposed to be. It's supposed to sell to enthusiast that can't afford 40k sports cars, don't want D-town muscle or a wimpy roadster. The 350Z up sells to the a fully loaded Maxima and down sells to a base Altima thus its low sales are tolerated. Under Toyota they can up sell to a Camry and down sell to a corolla.

Under Scion it will be the most expensive in the pack and it won't attract the costumer that will likely settle for an xB or whatever funky shaped car they have on their lineup. It will detract sales from their most popular model the TC and it won't garnish enough sales to stand on it's own.

Scion will die in North American along with this chassis having a future here.

Sorry for the bad wake up call but North America is screwed.

I apologize to anyone that may feel offended.

This is a bad idea to market as a Scion. The TC is already the halo car and has moderately decent sales numbers. The FT-86 will not be a big seller anywhere in the world and it's not supposed to be. It's supposed to sell to enthusiast that can't afford 40k sports cars, don't want D-town muscle or a wimpy roadster. The 350Z up sells to the a fully loaded Maxima and down sells to a base Altima thus its low sales are tolerated. Under Toyota they can up sell to a Camry and down sell to a corolla.

Under Scion it will be the most expensive in the pack and it won't attract the costumer that will likely settle for an xB or whatever funky shaped car they have on their lineup. It will detract sales from their most popular model the TC and it won't garnish enough sales to stand on it's own.

Scion will die in North American along with this chassis having a future here.

Sorry for the bad wake up call but North America is screwed.
    Excellent point! Id expect Toyota could keep them afloat before they turn the brand around though... althoug I agree thats a ish load of work.

In other news: Tanner Foust quit Formula Drift...

Jalopnik: Obsessed With The Cult Of Cars

OH SHIT! BIG NEWS! source West??
    2.5 liter and AWD =
    and this means there will most likely be an STI model!
    something to be excited to save for again

Straight from my Scion source who has been a national corporate employee since 2001.

Although I agree that it sucks that it will be badged a Scion, I still want an FT-S. I'm Sure the Subaru variant will be more leet, but I really dig the way this car looks, and I need a car this year, I'm actually holding on to my bucket and hope it last long enough so I can buy one at the end of the year. Oh, and if and when Scion dies, I will have a car that in the future might have some value due to the history, and possibly limited numbers. That somehow makes this car even more appealing to me.

Fuji Toyota - Subaru/Scion? (FT-S) ??

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Fuji Toyota - Subaru/Scion? (FT-S) ??
    Makes sense to me.

Lord of the Wings
    Awesome. I honestly don't care if it was called a Scion Shitstain, I'm still excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Exitspeed View Post
    Awesome. I honestly don't care if it was called a Scion Shitstain, I'm still excited.
    I agree, my first reaction was disappointment. However now it makes little difference. Were all sick of waiting, just give us SOMETHING.