Welcome to the Toyota GT 86 / Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ Community Forums | Toyobaru.net.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lord of the Wings

I'm a chicken wing connoisseur. Check out my website! AwingThing.Com

Here's a link toe the website.

aWingThing.Com - Wing Reviews and News | Your Source for All Chicken Wing Things

Basically it started off as just me and my buddies going to places and eating wings on a regular basis. One day I got an idea about making a website where we could actually do reviews on all these places so I through up a site. It evolved over the last year and it's really growing. Most dudes love wings too so I figured I'd share the site with you guys.

This is the first video we did for the site. I'm the drunk host guy.
    Quaker Steak & Lube - New Berlin, WI - aWingThing.Com - Wing Reviews and News | aWingThing.Com - Wing Reviews and News
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZHD5QrvHQE

Let me know what you guys think. Become a fan on Facebook. Tell a friend.
    Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

And Cal, don't worry I haven't forgot about you brother. Things are coming for fan reviews and recipes.

Well freakin done! You'd be amazed of what comes of a hobby turned business, take Zilvia for instance I hope you guys make it that far and then some with aWingThing. Feel free to plaster it all over Toyobaru

there are NO good wing places in lancaster pa.
    i envy you.

Lord of the Wings
    Quote Originally Posted by West View Post
    Well freakin done! You'd be amazed of what comes of a hobby turned business, take Zilvia for instance I hope you guys make it that far and then some with aWingThing. Feel free to plaster it all over Toyobaru
    Hahaha, awesome. Thanks.

Yeah it's been fun and I've put a lot of time into it. We just had shirts made (maybe I can sell some on here. ), business cards are next, and who knows.

The video's are fun as hell to do though. That is going to be the future of the site. If i could shoot for the stars it would be to land a gig with Travel Channel, or Food Network, or something like that. I mean there are a lot of shows where someone goes somewhere and eats/rates the food but none of a group of friends that do it. You get more opinions that way too. I won't hold my breath but who know.

Quote Originally Posted by bersh View Post
    there are NO good wing places in lancaster pa.
    i envy you.
    That sucks. Even the closest Quaker Steak is 2+ hours from you.

Moddy
    everything lookin good Mel!
    05' STi
    Team Scoobie Member

Quote Originally Posted by Exitspeed View Post
    And Cal, don't worry I haven't forgot about you brother. Things are coming for fan reviews and recipes.

Site is looking better and better man. I'll take a t-shirt, Paypal you anytime. Large if they are tight fit, medium if they are american fit.
    Team Scoobie Member

Quote Originally Posted by modifiedMR View Post
    Naw, "bang for the buck" as in performance. I'd rather than and need a shot of penicillin.

Lord of the Wings
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post

Site is looking better and better man. I'll take a t-shirt, Paypal you anytime. Large if they are tight fit, medium if they are american fit.
    I'll let you know when that goes down. I'm going to have them fs on the website. I need to have more made because the initial shirts were just made for the guys that do the reviews with me.

I'll post the link up though when it's all squared away.

Quote Originally Posted by Exitspeed View Post
    I'll let you know when that goes down. I'm going to have them fs on the website. I need to have more made because the initial shirts were just made for the guys that do the reviews with me.

I'll post the link up though when it's all squared away.
    Word

I'll be the east coast wing team. One man operation lol.
    Team Scoobie Member

Naw, "bang for the buck" as in performance. I'd rather than and need a shot of penicillin.

Let me know if you need help with the site, Im a Wordpress+Cart Ninja.

Have you heard of Woodys Wings in Aurora, CO? Probably not, but they are the best thing we got in D town. Ill have to do some review action for your site Or maybe overnight them to you lol.

Lord of the Wings
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    Word

I'll be the east coast wing team. One man operation lol.
    Sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by West View Post
    Let me know if you need help with the site, Im a Wordpress+Cart Ninja.

Have you heard of Woodys Wings in Aurora, CO? Probably not, but they are the best thing we got in D town. Ill have to do some review action for your site Or maybe overnight them to you lol.
    YES I would LOVE some assistant with that. What's the best way to communicate with you? I prefer email.

I love wings and beer nights with the guys. Great idea. I hope you do well.

I mean this in a completely constructive manor, and I hope you will not take offense to what I am going to say. The writing is not very good, at all. Maybe you just haven't found your tone yet, but it was painful to read this review. It was also full of grammatical errors, which can usually be overlooked if the writing is decently entertaining and descriptive, but it was not.

Use more adjectives and get creative. ‘Mushy’ doesn’t really describe the wings very well and I was finished with the article having no real idea of what the wings tasted like. Get to know what types of spices are generally used and practice describing their tastes. Explain what you're eating as if you're explaining it to someone who has never had a wing in their life.

I suggest having another person do the writing or to take some basic creative writing classes. Best of luck.

Some general tips on the website:
    A look at how the wings are made.
    One on one interviews with the chefs.
    Spicy meter, crispy meter, flavor meter, etc. Come up with some kind of a more in depth rating system to really let people know what they can expect.

Quote Originally Posted by ProZach626 View Post
    I mean this in a completely constructive manor, and I hope you will not take offense to what I am going to say. The writing is not very good, at all. Maybe you just haven't found your tone yet, but it was painful to read this review. It was also full of grammatical errors, which can usually be overlooked if the writing is decently entertaining and descriptive, but it was not.

Use more adjectives and get creative. ‘Mushy’ doesn’t really describe the wings very well and I was finished with the article having no real idea of what the wings tasted like. Get to know what types of spices are generally used and practice describing their tastes. Explain what you're eating as if you're explaining it to someone who has never had a wing in their life.

I suggest having another person do the writing or to take some basic creative writing classes. Best of luck.

Spicy meter, crispy meter, flavor meter, etc. Come up with some kind of a more in depth rating system to really let people know what they can expect.

I can kind of see what you are saying and I agree and disagree on some parts. The term mushy I felt did describe the wing, however I agree that it could have been better. Saying mushy with a metaphor attached to it would have given a better description.

I also feel the say it to someone who has never eaten a wing is a bit much. I can imagine being descriptive in such a way in some instances but people who visit that site are going to have eaten wings before. I think you are looking at it with a literary eye that the public isn't going to have.

I completely agree with the meters though, I'd like to see that.
    Team Scoobie Member

Lord of the Wings
    Quote Originally Posted by ProZach626 View Post

Seriously man I totally agree with you. My writing skills are average at best. I don't write for a living. I'm a photographer, a web developer, and a graphic artist...but not a writer. The site originally started out as just a place for me and my drunk buddies to inform people in the area where the good wings are. In a year it's gotten bigger then I expected, which is good. I'm trying my best with the writing, but have a ways to go.

I really appreciate you taking the time to give me the the constructive criticism though.

Those are some good ideas. I have so many projects going on with the site at the moment and those are things I've planned on incorporating. It's kinda funny that you mentioned some of them. We're shooting the next video on the 23rd of April and we have FULL access to the place, owners, and chefs. If the show could have even a fraction of the quality and entertainment value as Man VS Food I'd be thrilled and that's what we are going with.

Thanks again.

I will say that your graphics are really nice. For example, just your signature is great. With the colors and the pictures it kind of puts you in the mood to eat wings.

I'm looking forward to the video. It sounds like it's going to be really fun for you guys to put that together.

Another idea: Interviews with the customers. "Why do you come here?", "What sets these wings apart from others?", etc.

Good luck!

Exitspeed, instead of Super Moderator, you should give yourself the custom title "Lord of the Wings"'

Moddy
    Quote Originally Posted by just an impreza View Post
    Exitspeed, instead of Super Moderator, you should give yourself the custom title "Lord of the Wings"'
    immmmmm actually gonna have to second this
    05' STi
    Team Scoobie Member

so have you guys been here (Buffalo)? I don't see any articles. that's like having a site about ferrari's and not mentioning Maranello

i would bow to that.

Quote Originally Posted by ej25ti View Post
    immmmmm actually gonna have to second this
    Third that.

Doooooo Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttt
    Team Scoobie Member

Lord of the Wings
    DONE.

Quote Originally Posted by kdiggz View Post
    so have you guys been here (Buffalo)? I don't see any articles. that's like having a site about ferrari's and not mentioning Maranello
    We haven't...yet. We WILL be at the Wing Festival this year though.

Trust me, Buffalo is on our schedule.

Lord of the Wings
    We've been super busy working on new things for the site. Unfortunately right when things really got rolling we were dealt a pretty big blow. We lost a important member of our group, who also happened to be my best friend, Nick Amezquita aka Sol aka The Piranha. He's the guy in the first video of ours that did the Quaker Steak Triple Atomic Challenge like it was nothing. Words can't express how much I'm going to miss my friend.

Here is a new vid from a review of a local place we did.
    Here's another video review from a place called Off The Clock here in Milwaukee.

Let me know what you guys think.

Off the Clock Bar & Grill - aWingThing.Com - Wing Reviews and News | aWingThing.Com - Wing Reviews, News, and Recipes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czbw4Lyuud4

Moddy
    You must have been busy havent seen u here in forever. So sorry to hear about your loss man. New vid looks great, keep it up!
    05' STi
    Team Scoobie Member

^Yea he stays busy, he is a very talented individual with lots to do.

Welcome back. It's been to long since I stopped by your site. I need to check in and try some of those wing recipes.
    Team Scoobie Member

Lord of the Wings
    ^Thank you sir.

Yeah, sorry for the absence guys. Been too damn busy that's for sure. We shot that vid and then a few weeks later shot two vids back to back weekends, then we lost our friend and shit has just been bonkers.

Glad you're digging the vid.

So I see you took my suggestion for your title and used it...awesome!

Lord of the Wings
    So I see you took my suggestion for your title and used it...awesome!
    Hahaha, yeah forgot I did that.

Lord of the Wings
    Here's a new video from the First Annual Brew City Wingfest that was held here in June. Shit was a blast. Can't wait til next year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW6ZOJ0s9-o