Welcome to the Toyota GT 86 / Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ Community Forums | Toyobaru.net.

Post Toyota Europe Confirms FT-86 Production Engine, Forgot Specs

The Scion FR-S was introduced on 4-20-11 at the NYIAS as a concept. It was said during the presentation to the press that the FR-S would boast a Subaru 2.0 liter Boxer engine featuring Toyota's D-4S injection system, a six speed manual or paddel shifts on the steering wheel with automatics, and a LSD (limited slip differential). When Toyobaru asked for further details, such as horsepower and torque ratings, we heard nothing.

Today Toyota Europe confirms these same "specs" for its Production Toyota FT-86, but again misses the important specs that are all on our minds.

The 2.0-liter naturally-aspirated engine is the result of a joint development between Subaru and Toyota, bringing together their technical know-how and passion for sports cars. Subaru brings its newly developed horizontally opposed boxer engine while Toyota adds its D-4S technology (direct injection combined with port injection). This results in increased horsepower and torque without sacrificing fuel consumption and environmental performance.

The flat-four engine will be mated to either a six-speed manual or a six-speed automatic transmission. The manual will offer quick and precise shifts with a short-throw, while the automatic transmission will feature sporty shifts controlled by steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifts. Power will be distributed effectively to the rear wheels through a limited-slip differential.

Based on an entirely new front-engined and rear-wheel drive platform the production model will offer the driver confident stability and manoeuvrability, while still being quick and nimble into and out of any corner.

The FT-86 final production model will be realised around the idea of unique balance thanks to its compact dimensions, light weight design and low centre of gravity ensuring the best possible power-to-weight ratio and resulting in an intrinsic joy of driving.
    Source: http://media.toyota.eu/News/Pages/ne...s/default.aspx

They keep telling us the same thing over and over, in different words. I'm starting to lose interest in this car.

LSD being a standard on the car. Cool. Wonder if it's viscous, 1.5 way or 2-way

At least we know it's confirmed production.
    Team Scoobie Member

Quote Originally Posted by modifiedMR View Post
    Naw, "bang for the buck" as in performance. I'd rather than and need a shot of penicillin.

As long as they make the fr-s and not the ft-86 II I can confirm that I'll be happy with the the looks dept

Lord of the Wings
    I don't care if it has a KA24DE...ok who am I kidding. Yeah I do.

That would suck.

does this mean fancy top mounted oil filter?!?!??!
    YAYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Exitspeed View Post
    I don't care if it has a KA24DE...ok who am I kidding. Yeah I do.

That would suck.
    I shudder at the thought of an engine like that in this car.
    Team Scoobie Member

Quote Originally Posted by modifiedMR View Post
    Naw, "bang for the buck" as in performance. I'd rather than and need a shot of penicillin.