Welcome to the Toyota GT 86 / Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ Community Forums | Toyobaru.net.

Toyota GT86 offered in stripped down RC flavor in Japan

Would you buy the RC model Scion/Subaru/Toyoa if offered in your country?

It's getting harder and harder to purchase a genuine stripped down vehicle these days. Manufacturers have discovered that it's both cheaper and easier to offer every model with a surprisingly high level of content rather than build multiple variations on the same theme. That's why tricks like power locks and windows are all but ubiquitous, even on bargain-basement models.

Not so in Japan. Toyota is offering buyers a stripper version of the company's new GT86 sports coupe. The vehicle comes as a blank canvas just waiting for your personal touch. Outside, the stock 17-inch alloy wheels are replaced with 16-inch steelies, and the bumpers, side mirrors and door handles all arrive unpainted. Don't expect to find any fog lights, either.

Indoors, niceties like a stereo, air conditioning and even trim work around the steering wheel and shifter are nowhere to be found. Toyota even went so far as to ditch the plastic intake cover under the hood. The vehicle doesn't come with a limited-slip rear differential, but the sacrifice seems worth it to us. For starters, the GT-86 RC carries a price tag of 1.9 million Yen, or $24,601 at current conversion rates. That's significantly less than the standard model. Then there's the fact that the RC weighs nearly 100 pounds less than the base GT-86.

Sadly, we doubt either Scion or Subaru will offer a similarly stripped-down version of their respective FR-S or BRZ models, though history disagrees with us. Scion did, in fact, offer a stripper version of the tC back in 2007 called the tC Spec Package.
    Toyota GT86 offered in stripped down RC flavor... in Japan

Stripped, Spec, Blue, whatever it's called... that's what I would want.

My GF and I bought a Nissan Versa last year and went with the stripped model. Manual door locks and everything. The only stuff it had that I thought it shouldn't were AC and ABS, but both are good for her and her driving.

She hated the no stereo for about a week until I put in her aftermarket unit. Now she loves it and thinks I saved her $3 grand (which I sort of did). The only down side to a stripped Versa is that there is no key hole in the passenger door, so when I drive, I can't be a gentleman and open the door for her first. I have to hop in, lean over, unlock her door and she let's herself in.

I'm surprised there is only 100Lbs of loss though and would have hoped for more. At least those who keep AC and Stereo will know their gear is light.

A lack of paint and hub caps is kind of weird (IMHO). I'd rock the steelies for a while though. 16" rubber is affordable and still sporty.

Taking out trim seems over the top, but I must say, I like the black interior much more than the red stiched and grey stuff I've seen so far.

I'd rather they lose their ABS and air bags, but that wouldn't meet gov't standards.

So, the question I have is, "Would Scion sell me an RC model?" "Please?"
    Backroads... Nature's Race Track

I think the steelies probably add a little weight back on. you might be able to shave another 50lb with some nice light wight aluminum 16's.
    I just want the steel wheel option and no diff. I want the interior to be complete aside from the stereo. The black leather-vinal? interior is nice.

$24,601 is significantly less? Crap...

Quote Originally Posted by Moshpit37 View Post
    $24,601 is significantly less? Crap...
    That was my first thought. I bet this car is in the 27-28k range base.....:

I'd take it, but can I get the lsd in it please?
    91 hardtop mr2 turbo

If it's a dime over 26k otd, they've lost me. As I've said before, it started at 19k as a concept, them jumped to 22k, 24.5k, 26k, and now rumblings of upper 20's. They will price themselves out of a competitive market.

Before people start saying apples to oranges let's look at sporty coupes (yes some are fwd). The gti, genesis, mx5, and even the mini all are low to mid 20's.

Even the new ponies, while not as great in the handling dept are pushing 50% more hp for 22k entry msrp.

don't get me wrong, I really want this car, but it's hard to justify a 27k msrp on a car you will still have to drop several thousands more to get it how you want it.

You're damn right I'd buy one! The bumpers and wheels would be the first things to go if I bought an upscale version, anyways. Throw in a Pioneer AVIC and my own stereo and I don't use A/C so that would mean less weight. Since they're talking about offering a mechanical LSD through TRD, that could be added later.

2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT - on order
    2012 Audi S4 6MT - company lease, baby!
    1987 Toyota MR2 - 20v blacktop screamer
    1973 Datsun 240Z - highway monster project

Moddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Robh View Post
    If it's a dime over 26k otd, they've lost me. As I've said before, it started at 19k as a concept, them jumped to 22k, 24.5k, 26k, and now rumblings of upper 20's. They will price themselves out of a competitive market.

Before people start saying apples to oranges let's look at sporty coupes (yes some are fwd). The gti, genesis, mx5, and even the mini all are low to mid 20's.

Even the new ponies, while not as great in the handling dept are pushing 50% more hp for 22k entry msrp.

don't get me wrong, I really want this car, but it's hard to justify a 27k msrp on a car you will still have to drop several thousands more to get it how you want it.
    yup i hear ya
    05' STi
    Team Scoobie Member

Quote Originally Posted by ej25ti View Post
    yup i hear ya

Oh dang, I was focussing on the stripped down features and forgot to notice the price! It's too expensive for me stripped, so I'm afraid to ask how significantly more expensive the standard model will be.

Now I remember why I went from posting to lurking. The estimated price rose faster than I could save for one. I feel teased for a cheap sports car and hope someone else builds one because I really want one after all of this anticipation.
    Backroads... Nature's Race Track

Houston mostly, Denver, DC and wine-country occasionally
    well, shit:
    Toyota Confirms That Stripped Scion FR-S Models Not U.S.-Bound

Lets cross our fingers for the RA model from Subaru.

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    well, shit:
    Toyota Confirms That Stripped Scion FR-S Models Not U.S.-Bound

Lets cross our fingers for the RA model from Subaru.

Sweet! I was about to post this as well. Good find!

I feel if Subaru wanted to they could outsell Toyota in the US easy.

Sell stripped down version of the car, main version, STi Turbo version. Something for everyone.
    Team Scoobie Member

Quote Originally Posted by modifiedMR View Post
    Naw, "bang for the buck" as in performance. I'd rather than and need a shot of penicillin.

If Scion expects to lose money on a stripped version, why do we expect that Subaru would do it, too? I think this is a pipe dream, sadly.

2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT - on order
    2012 Audi S4 6MT - company lease, baby!
    1987 Toyota MR2 - 20v blacktop screamer
    1973 Datsun 240Z - highway monster project

I understand that Scion has their no haggle price mono-spec cars now. But, they should offer the RC model for the tuners and enthusiasts. After reading this article below, I have high hopes for the RC model coming stateside. Hopefully Tetsuya Tada isn't yanking our chains.

Scion FR-S Won’t Get Stripped Down “Tuner Special” | The Truth About Cars
    Last edited by FutureHachiOwner16; 02-14-2012 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Separate link from comment

I want a stripper that puts out more. Wait, did that sound dirty??
    91 hardtop mr2 turbo

On a side note I came across the a 2007 "tuner" Scion Tc that was released as a stripped down package, so Scion has done this before.

i used to drive a car with no a/c. never again.

Quote Originally Posted by upsdude View Post
    i used to drive a car with no a/c. never again.
    I drove pizza delivery in MO (95+ F) in a mr2 turbo for 3 months. It wasn't a real big issue for me getting a little sweaty. lol. I bought a corolla for gas mileage and rarely (like 5-10 times a year) did I use it in my rolla.
    91 hardtop mr2 turbo

Hey, modifiedMR, ya ever taken your rolla ta Rolla, MO? Hee-hee...I went ta college there in Rolla, MO. Took the occasional trip over ta St.Louie ta play on the weekend, or the other direction ta Springfield, MO.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyoriffic View Post
    Hey, modifiedMR, ya ever taken your rolla ta Rolla, MO? Hee-hee...I went ta college there in Rolla, MO. Took the occasional trip over ta St.Louie ta play on the weekend, or the other direction ta Springfield, MO.
    Never drove the rolla there, but I have been there. I grew up in St. Charles County. Rolla is a good school.
    91 hardtop mr2 turbo

Give me the top of the line limited edition and I'll be a happy camper..