Welcome to the Toyota GT 86 / Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ Community Forums | Toyobaru.net.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Scion FR-S TRD Supercharger Add-on Confirmed in Development

In December 2011 Autocar reported a TRD Supercharger was already in the works, even specifically planned during the Toyota GT86's development. We've heard reports of dealerships telling customers a Supercharger kit will be available for the Scion FR-S, however haven't seen anything tangible to validate the claim. Additionally, HKS recently released photos of their own Supercharger for the GT86 which puts down about 250ps, seen here.

Today we received a tip which confirms and TRD Supercharger is in development for the Scion FR-S. Additionally we get a glimpse of what TRD accessories will be available for the Scion FR-S. Included is the expected launch date, part numbers, target dates, and pricing.

Also mentioned, but unconfirmed, was news regarding the Subaru BRZ. Its said it will have an factory Turbo option at some point, however we dont know when, or if this will be an add-on or factory option.

Awesome find West! I really hope Subaru boosts the BRZ now.
    Team Scoobie Member

Quote Originally Posted by modifiedMR View Post
    Naw, "bang for the buck" as in performance. I'd rather than and need a shot of penicillin.

DIO = Dealer Install _____ ?
    PPO = ?

There are a lot of items on that post-release list that seem like they should be available at the release date. Fog lights? Arm rest? Rear Spoiler?

NM, I think I found it.

DIO = Dealer Installed Option
    PPO = Post Production Option (installed at the port before it gets to dealer)

That is a good news to hear. Easy boost.

why are they showing pics of a tC2 in some of the pics?

It is an internal document and the photos are just illustrating the item. They just didn't have FR-S photos ready for those items so they probably threw stock photos in there.

Very nice...so now, who will be getting a supercharger for their FRS? or maybe BRZ?

I wonder if the boosted one will have a lower compression.....probably not.
    Team Scoobie Member

Naw, "bang for the buck" as in performance. I'd rather than and need a shot of penicillin.

Supercharger would be a change of pace for me, but one that would serve well on a rather miserable low end stock motor.

Would still rather be turbo, and no, I doubt the compression will change. :/

I was thinking turbo kit, but I have always been partial to supercharged torque, so possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by ToyotaReference View Post
    I was thinking turbo kit, but I have always been partial to supercharged torque, so possibly.
    When you can't decide, do em both!

Yes, but on a car with a 7400 redline, a turbo is going to give you much more bang for the buck when it comes to a powerband. The engine obviously flows well, so a turbo on an engine like this will make hp go up fast in the upper range. I can see an argument for an SC for daily driving, but a turbo off boost will give BETTER mpg's and when you want it, the power isn't far off. Especially with something like a gt28rs.
    91 hardtop mr2 turbo

Drop a EJ20 and end of discussion. lol

SR20, errr, 2JZ, errrrrrr, LS9... discussion, discussion, discussion...

SR20, errr, 2JZ, errrrrrr, LS9... discussion, discussion, discussion...
    I bet within 6 years all of those engines, well maybe ls1-3. Will find their way into this car.
    Team Scoobie Member

Moddy
    in the meantimeeee im prob gonna give in and buy a 135i
    so if anyone is looking to purchase my 05 STi :P
    05' STi
    Team Scoobie Member

Yay, center armrest! Hope it matches the BRZ interior. I probably won't even use it as an armrest so much as to cover the ugly cupholders

2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT - on order
    2012 Audi S4 6MT - company lease, baby!
    1987 Toyota MR2 - 20v blacktop screamer
    1973 Datsun 240Z - highway monster project

Quote Originally Posted by ej25ti View Post
    in the meantimeeee im prob gonna give in and buy a 135i
    so if anyone is looking to purchase my 05 STi :P
    If it was a 2007-8 I would be all over that.
    Team Scoobie Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    I bet within 6 years all of those engines, well maybe ls1-3. Will find their way into this car.
    Ken Guchi is running his FRS with a Ej20 pulling 600 hp already lol. Everyone else already has a LS1 in their FRS ready for events. I just wished the frs came at least 250hp. that would be ideal in comparison with its weight distribution to the horse.

I wish they would build the regular one and then a hardcore, race ready type model that could be used for spec races, etc. With a turbo!
    91 hardtop mr2 turbo

TRD S/C + 5axis body kit = Check, please!

Quote Originally Posted by slipandflow View Post
    Ken Guchi is running his FRS with a Ej20 pulling 600 hp already lol. Everyone else already has a LS1 in their FRS ready for events. I just wished the frs came at least 250hp. that would be ideal in comparison with its weight distribution to the horse.
    It's a bit disheartening to see all the drift teams are swapping the motors. I understand thats the norm at their competition level, but really!? Someone needs to tune the shit out of the stock motor and win some completions. Someone like me! Now, who wants to donate? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by West View Post
    It's a bit disheartening to see all the drift teams are swapping the motors. I understand thats the norm at their competition level, but really!? Someone needs to tune the shit out of the stock motor and win some completions. Someone like me! Now, who wants to donate? Lol
    True to that!! I was hoping someone would make the FA20 engine 600 hp. Im sure it would just be like the EJ20, since both are boxers and 2.0 liter. Because its a new engine, people are probably just swapping over engines they are familiar with

Patiently waiting for HKS to finish up their GT Supercharger kit, and to see if TRD and/or Kraftwerks come out with a kit. I'm all set with N/A and turbo power. Every non-supercharged car I've driven in the past few months has felt so slow compared to my S4, because of a lack of low-end grunt.

2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT - on order
    2012 Audi S4 6MT - company lease, baby!
    1987 Toyota MR2 - 20v blacktop screamer
    1973 Datsun 240Z - highway monster project

Quote Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
    Patiently waiting for HKS to finish up their GT Supercharger kit, and to see if TRD and/or Kraftwerks come out with a kit. I'm all set with N/A and turbo power. Every non-supercharged car I've driven in the past few months has felt so slow compared to my S4, because of a lack of low-end grunt.
    So you will be definitely going supercharger instead of turbo?
    Team Scoobie Member

So you will be definitely going supercharger instead of turbo?
    i'm with turbowned. superchargers are more my alley. correct me if i'm wrong, but superchargers give power to at both low end revs and high end while turbo gives a more massive power boost at mid to high revs right?

Quote Originally Posted by celica00 View Post
    i'm with turbowned. superchargers are more my alley. correct me if i'm wrong, but superchargers give power to at both low end revs and high end while turbo gives a more massive power boost at mid to high revs right?
    Yes that is correct. Supercharger, you basically have full power response. As for Turbo, you have to wait, but kicks in like a motha.eff.. lol. But because it kicks in only at certain RPM, it has its disadvantages like turbo lag. But thats nothing light weight fly wheel and antilag cant do about it! being a boxer engine, im sure someone will have the balls to introduce an antilag lol.

Moddy
    If it was a 2007-8 I would be all over that.

u mean 06-07?
    05' STi
    Team Scoobie Member

Quote Originally Posted by ej25ti View Post
    u mean 06-07?

Sure why not. I thought it was later. Gives me hope for getting one.
    Team Scoobie Member